||iFly GPS Software Release Notes
Version 7.6 Update
- RealView Airports provides satellite preview image of over 12,600 Airports. There are several ways to see the RealView. Available on the iFly 720 only.
- Touch and hold the desired Airport and select the RealView Airport Option.
- From any Airport Information Page, touch the Thumbnail of Runways, you should see a "Touch for Realview"
- Go to Vector Mode and Zoom in on any Airport, once you get to the magnified levels beyond Zoom 1, the RealView should appear.
- AutoTaxi+ pops the Airport Diagram upon landing, likewise it transitions from Taxi Diagram to Chart Mode upon Take-off. If the airport does not have an official FAA Diagram, then it will use the RealView Airport Image on the iFly 720 only.
- Menu -> Setup -> Map Settings -> AutoTaxi. You can either enable or disable it. Default is disabled.
- WAAS Enabling is now on the iFly GPS, both 700 and 720. Improves GPS accuracy using the WAAS System.
- It is defaulted to be on. You can change by going to Menu -> About -> GPS Information and check the "Use WAAS when Available".
- Fix Quality Meter is an on-screen instrument to show GPS signal and WAAS status. Also use it to quickly begin and end a simulation.
- Add the instrument by going to Menu -> Setup -> Customize Instruments... Add the Fix Quality instrument. Place the new instrument in the desired location and Save. There is only one size and color for this instrument.
- Dynamic Distance Ring is a dynamic tool which tells your relative distance to any object you put the ring on. As you pan off the screen, you will notice the Aqua ring expand until it reaches the center of the screen. There is also a distance box always located at the position icon's 2 o'clock, approximately.
- Touch Menu -> Setup -> Map Settings -> Distance Rings. You can choose from Hidden, Dynamic or Fixed.
- Hybrid Compass Rose is a 360 degree compass around your position icon which includes a Nav bug, if a waypoint is active. It also includes a distance reference on the ring located approximately at your position icon's 2 o'clock. (Tip: Just put the blue track line on the orange waypoint ball on the compass rose and you'll get there every time.)
- Touch Menu -> Setup -> Map Settings -> Coarse/Compass. You can choose from the Compass Rose, Course Line or None. (Note: Using this would allow you to remove the Coarse Tape and Ball at the top of the screen.)
- New Airplane Icons. We've added more options and they are larger too. Fun stuff here.
- Menu -> Setup -> Map Settings -> Aircraft Icon, then just select from the list.
- Fly Direct-To Lat/Long. Now you can fly to a lat/long without adding a Custom Waypoint.
- Added to the Fly Direct-To page or Find Airports page. You may use Decimal, Deg/Min/Sec or Deg/Min.
- Additional ADS-B Support and Better ADS-B Traffic reporting and symbols. When connected to an ADS-B that supports traffic, we now show all reported traffic on-screen. We've even made the traffic icons larger and they dynamically flash when in alert or critical status. You may also touch and hold the traffic icon and then touch Traffic Information for more details.
- SkyGuardTWX ADS-B Tranceiver/Receiver support. Clarity ADS-B and iLevel ADS-B receiver support along with AHRS. Added compatibility for these new devices. You'll connect them to the iFly 720 using Wi-Fi on the 720. The iLevel supports wired connection with a special connection with so it will work with the iFly 700 too.
- Traffic will be shown on all map modes if the supported by the attached ADSB receiver. With an active AHRS, the iFly's FARS system will be engaged (Flight Attitude Recovery System). If you exceed a defined threshold (example 25 deg of Bank and 40 deg of Pitch) a warning tone and a pop-up Artificial Horizon will alert you to the condition and aid your progress back to straight-level flight.
Version 7.5 Update
- Portrait Mode Support
- The addition of Portrait Mode will allow the iFly GPS to be rotated for vertical mounting and improved reference of Approach Plates.
- Portrait Mode also provides more flexibility to mount the iFly GPS in various applications and aircraft installations.
- An AirGizmos panel dock kit supporting Landscape or Portrait installation is now available on the iFly GPS store. Also include a space behind the iFly GPS for our external backup battery for an extra clean installation.
- Instrument Panel (Interactive Page)
- The new Interactive Instrument Panel mode provides another visually intuitive way of navigating. Pilots can design their own page of instruments the way they like. The possibilities are almost unlimited.
- Customizable displays of navigational data, flight information, and an active attitude, terrain and collision alert system.
- Ability to drop an HSI or Artificial Horizon (AHRS required) directly on to the Moving Map Screen.
- New tools include an HSI, Turn Coordinator, Vertical Speed, Altimeter, Groundspeed. Dedicated Instruments for Plates Mode and an optional AHRS driven Artificial Horizon and more.
- Access Terrain, Airspace Alerts, Flight Plans, Plates and more directly from the Instrument Page.
- WAC Charts and Additional Canadian Database Coverage
- Pilots flying in regions of Alaska, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean will gain improved chart coverage with the addition of WAC charts.
- Expanded Database Information for Canada. Added 100's of additional airports and other information.
- Expanded ADS-B and Third Party Device AHRS Compatibility
- Support for Clarity ADS-B Receivers with and without SV (AHRS)
- Support for NavWorx ADS-B Receivers via Wired Connection
- Support for the LEVIL AHRS and iLEVIL ADS-B / AHRS Device (Currently iLEVIL is Beta)
- Include on-ground ADSB aircraft
- Rudimentary support for external serial GPS input
- Spatial Disorientation Alert System (Pilot configurable when connected to an AHRS Device)
- Audibly alerts pilots when in an unsafe manner of flight.
- Visually alerts pilots with an on-screen Artificial Horizon to aid in correcting aircraft attitude.
- The audible and visual alert will stay active until a safe attitude is achieved for 5 seconds.
- Other Enhancements and additions.
- Clicking the Vertical Profile instrument now toggles off the large view of Vertical Profile
- Extended Runways now show when dragging a route line or panning
- New support of Single Sting Entry. ( KTKI KSTL KOSH)
- Clicking the VP instrument now toggles the large view off
- Customize Instrument "Select Instrument" list box font is larger, to make it easier to select your instrument
- Removing a Map Markers now requires a double-tap to reduce chance of accidental removal
- Significant gains in performance
- Flight Plan Form revamped, much easier to improve scrolling and more
- Implemented Night Mode colors for Flight Plan Form and Find Airports results
- Plates Mode now resorts to showing "NorthUp", but still allows user to switch to TrackUp manually
- Custom Location, Enter Lat/Lon form now permits you to type 4-digits, instead of only 2
- Logic to prevent auto-switching of Charts
- Improved Scrolling and Scrollbar
- Alerts Form employs this new Scrollable Panel, and no long resets scroll to top.
Version 7 Update
- Terrain and Obstruction Highlighting
- Provides detailed Terrain and Obstruction highlights for the ultimate situational awareness while flying in mountainous or terrain/obstruction rich areas. Terrain Highlights are overlaid on all GPS modes, Charts, Plates, Diagrams, etc with the exception of Weather Mode.
- There is also a new Vertical Profile instrument with multiple sizes in the Customize Instruments setup. By touching this instrument, you can access a full page view of the Vertical Profile ahead with zoom adjustments
- You can now drag to a specific point on the chart/screen and start a Simulation from that point. As you approach the ground you will see the terrain highlighting and receive audible alerts.
- Advanced Alerting System (Terrain, Obstructions, Traffic, Airspaces, etc)
- We’ve added a new Active Alert window offering a smaller layout with active text reporting. You can select “More” for additional details. The “Setting” button is currently inactive. We’ve also made improvements to the Acknowledge functionality. Note: this Alert Window is also movable so you can position it and it will stay.
- Audible alerts added based on the strict rules defined by the FAA standards. Callouts include: Caution Terrain, Don't Sink, Five Hundred, Pull-Up, Sink Rate, Terrain and Too Low...
- Vertical Flight Planning
- Allows pilots to reference the terrain highlights in relation to the active Flight Plan. You can see a Birdseye View and Profile View. A Minimum Safe Altitude will be shown for your flight plan.
- Macro-Zoom in Vector Mode
- While in Vector Mode, pilots will now be able to zoom to much tighter detail.
- Added Obstructions, Terrain and variable detail based on zoom level.
- Simply zoom in and you will start seeing the following: Zoom Level 1 (Magnified X ) [width = XXnm]
- View PDF Documents
- Copy some PDF documents to a thumb drive, or (using your computer) create a folder on the iFly's SD card called \PDF, and then copy your PDF documents there.
- Touch "Menu", there should now be a "View PDF Documents" option - touch that and select your desired file
- Additional Enhancements and Updates.
- Addition of new Icons (Airplane, Helicopter, Green and Blue Arrows)
- Located in the Map Setting Menu.
- Improvements to GPX file handling and saving.
- Fixed NMEA to be compatible with EFIS connectivity.
- Addition of “Back” button and reorganized context menus.
- Numerous code improvements to improved rendering.
- Additional enhancements and software fixes.
- Disable "Auto-track plane" option when viewing plates or diagrams
- Updated splash screen
- Improved interface to ADSB receivers
- Added Shutdown option from Exit menu
- Fixed bug setting altitude on some waypoints
- Fixed bug when creating new flight plan while in flight departure point was not airplane location
Version 6 Software
- Geo-Referenced Approach Plates & Airport Diagrams
- Pilots can now track their current GPS position directly on top of the NACO Approach Plate and Airport Diagrams with geo-coded data by Essential Flight Technologies. A pilot can see the flight plan, instruments and has the ability to make split-second modifications on the geo-referenced approach plate. Both Plates and Diagrams support full rotation for maximum viewing further increasing the supplemental situational awareness the iFly GPS offers for both VFR and IFR pilots. Geo-Referenced Plates and Diagrams are updated as part of the VFR & IFR Annual Data Subscription.
- The Geo-Referenced FAA Airport Diagrams provide additional safety while navigating unfamiliar airport taxiways. The iFly GPS database is pre-loaded with over 700 geo-referenced airport diagrams. The new airport diagrams will also be updated as part of the VFR Annual Data Subscription. All VFR and IFR charts and diagrams are updated according to the FAA data cycle.
- ADS-B Weather Support
- The Version 6 Software Update adds ADS-B Weather Support for third party ADS-B devices. Pilots can now see live Nexrad radar, METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft and PIREPs. ADS-B provides pilots with a no-cost weather feature if they have a third party ADS-B receiver like the SkyRadar by Radenna. This new weather mode offers a simple layout with route visuals, airports, weather stations, and an interactive touch feature to pull a weather report nearest to the pilot’s touch point.
- The pilot can then select METAR, TAF, Winds Aloft or PIREPS as they wish. In addition, pilots without an ADS-B receiver will benefit from an enhanced downloadable weather feature called Pre-Flight Weather. This feature provides an interactive map with graphical VFR/IFR visuals and allows for touch reporting of METARS, TAFs and Winds Aloft. A user will continue to see current position, flight plan and instruments while viewing the weather mode.
- Enhanced Pre-Flight Weather
- Interactive graphical VFR/IFR Map, METARs, TAFs and Winds Aloft.
- Touch weather reporting for the nearest station to your touch point.
- Airport names added to METARs and TAFs.
- New Interactive Weather Report format.
- Raw Text for METARs and TAFs are included.
- Higher Resolution Vector Mode
- Now includes Private Airports
- Added lakes, rivers and additional roads.
- Additional Enhancements and Updates.
- New "Direct-To this Waypoint" function on the Flight Plan form.
- Reorganized UI context menus.
- Fastest graphics and process speeds to date.
- Additional enhancements and software fixes.
Version 5 Software
- New Airport Information Page - includes the following enhancements:
- Improved Page Layout.
- Increase / Decrease font size.
- Runway thumbnails added.
- More information (Fuel availability, runway width, city, lighting schedule and more).
- Added "Nearby Airports" button for quickly finding nearby airports.
- Night Mode darkens and inverts colors.
- NMEA Output (Autopilot compatibility).
- Runway Extensions - select your desired runway and display a visual guide.
- New VST (Vertical Speed to Target) Instrument - calculates target decent rate to reach pattern altitude at your desired distance from the airport.
- ETA Final & ETA Waypoint (Estimated time of Arrival) Instruments added.
- New Indicated Track Line.
- Day/Night Mode - darkens all chart modes and inverts colors on the airport info page, plates and diagrams.
- New Snap-To functionality when dragging route - now you can drag a route to an airport, fix, etc.
- Auto Airspace Alerts. Customizable in type, distance and altitude buffer.
- Auto-Track mode - automatically resumes tracking the airplane after a user defined period of time.
- Chart Expiration Warnings - a safety message will pop to ensure this time sensitive information is noted.
- "Are you sure" confirmation will pop up when selecting "Direct To" option from context menu or from the airport page (only if this action replaces a current flight plan)
- VMG now calculates average speed from the past 15 seconds.
- Renamed "Course" instrument to "Track".
- New "No GPS Lock" and "Weak GPS Signal" banners, GPS status messages are now smaller.
- Distance Rings - added 2nm and 5nm when at close zoom. Improved visibility.
- Re-organized "Settings" menu.
- "Desensitized" route dragging logic to preventing accidental route modifications.
- Improved GPS lock detection - also differentiates between a weak signal and no lock.
- Fixed bug: Not showing nearest airports correctly
- Fixed bug: Unable to load some GPX files
- Fixed bug: METAR mode would not show up if METARs were never downloaded
- Fixed bug: When in "True North" mode, flight plan always had 123 deg for all segments
- Fixed bug: On the flight plan page touching "Save As", then "Cancel", the flight plan would still be saved
- Fixed bug: Nearest Airport dialog was excluding private airports
- Fixed bug: Touching a private airport on the map would not display airport information
- Fixed bug: In certain situations, the buttons would fade out and not return
- Change: Improved memory management and performance when doing a lot of panning/zooming
- Change: Airport text in Vector Night mode is now white (instead of black)
- Added TAC charts
- Added North-Up capability
- Added option for Magnetic North
- Added Wind Flags to METAR view
- Improved airport & runway labeling in Vector mode
- Added Altitude information to SUA popups
- Add instrument that shows name of next destination and next Waypoint
- Ability to "Lock" course lines, disabling the touch & drag feature
- Added ability to view currency of plates and low-enroute charts
- Airport Information page now shows lat/lon in various formats
- Added ability to import GPX flight plans from 3rd party applications
- Added option to control how button-fading works, Full-Fade, Fade a little, Don't Fade
- Added support for viewing "MINIMUMS"
- Fixed bug causing corrupt tile/sectional layers
- Fixed bug where SUA altitude information not being shown
- - Optomized tile cache
- - Renamed "Airports Near Here" to "Airport Information"
- - Changed what is visible in vector mode while dragging
- - Added ability to customize how SUA airspaces are shown
- - Added "Show on Map" option on the Airport Information page
- Improved overall panning/zooming performance
- Fixed Bug: Airport Info not showing for some airports
- New: Low-Enroute Charts. Must subscribe to the extended Data Subscription service to access this feature. Click the "Mode" button to access.
- New: "Mode" button now shows a drop-down of options to select from
- New: Ability to customize instrument size, location, and color. Also able to add additional customized instrument modes. See "Menu" / "Settings" / "Customize Instruments" option.
- New: Ability to create & name customizable waypoints by lat/lon or clicking on the map. Also search has the option to include custom locations, and these can be shown on the map.
- New: Able to download METARS and goto the "Mode" / "Metars" screen to view metars on a map. Touch a metar to get detailed information. (Mostly useful for pre-flight planning; once in the air metars data rapidly becomes dated)
- New: Able to name flight plans
- New: Added a Night Mode which has darker coloring
- New: Increased font sizes throughout
- New: When you touch the screen to drop a Spot Check marker, there is now an "Options" button that allows you to pull the context menu for that spot. (This functions the same as holding your finger on the map for one second)
- New: Added "Find Airport" hot button
- New: Added Traffic Pattern Altitude to airport display (when data is provided, nothing will show otherwise; presume standard)
- New: Added "Flight Plan" hot button, removed this option from the Main Menu.
- New: Added an "About" menu under the main menu button
- New: Added a "Course Line" optiongoto the Setup menu to enable/disable this option
- Change: Moved "GPS Information" and "Sectional Information" options from the Settings menu to the About menu
- New: Added "Support & Contact" menu option to the About menu
- Change: Changed the "Checked / Unchecked" images under various menus to Radio-button style "Selected / Unselected" images
- Fixed bug: From the Airport Info form, when pressing "Direct To", screen would sometimes lock up
- Fixed bug: Selecting a past flight now shows up right away without having to switch map modes
- Fixed bug: The Flight Duration would sometimes display an extra hour
- Fixed bug: Route Line would dissapear when flying through a TFR
- Fixed bug: The GPS Information page was incorrectly indicating altitude was AGL instead of MSL
- Change: For a new flight plan, presumed departure point will be the nearest airport within 1.5NM radius, reduced from 5NM. (If no nearby airports, or if you are already in flight, departure point will be current lat/lon)
- New: Route lines are wider and darker so they stand out more
- New: Added a "GPS Reset" button to the GPS Information form
- *New: The iFlyUpdatePackage zip file will be deleted from the USB driver following an update
- *New: Changed the update app to accomodate Apple Mac users (Mac's modify the zip file after downloading)
- *New: The update zip file can now be named anything that fits this pattern: iFlyUpdatePackage*.zip
*A new "Updater" app will be deployed with this patch. Therefore changes/fixes to the update process will be applicable for future updates, not this one.
- Fixed bug: "Out of Memory" would sometimes occur when rotating charts. (This is still possible, but occurances should be dramatically reduced. Additional optimizations in the next release will further eliminate this error)
- Fixed bug: The remote "Mode" and "Map" buttons not working correctly
- Fixed bug: If starting in Vector mode, an empty Message Box would appear
- Fixed bug: When in a menu, could not select "Cancel" option with the remote control
- Fixed bug: While updating the iFly the following message could appear: "Error: Unable to deploy SatelliteCompas.png". (This message does not actually cause any problems. It will happen one more time as this version is being applied; future updates should not see the message.)
- Fixed bug: Grabbing a route line to perform a "Rubber-band" change could cause the iFly to freeze for several seconds.
- Fixed bug: Estimated time in route on the flight plan form would sometimes display an additional hour
- Fixed bug: Corrected truncated text in the "Total..." labels in the Flight Plan form
- Fixed bug: TFR Warning Message would appear even when TFR data was current
- New: Added iFly version number to GPS Information form (Menu / Setup / GPS Information)
- New: Made it easier to "grab" a route line or waypoint in order to drag it
**First released version**